Skip to main content

Help Wanted?

Anyone who has ever gotten a new pair of glasses knows the struggle of adjustment. Climbing stairs, stepping off a curb, and even reaching for something creates a need for added attention and care. The optometrist warns us against switching between our old and new glasses. Why? It creates added struggle and delays our ability to see with clarity through our new lenses.

Jesus-followers encounter the same type of struggle. Our old selves see everything through the lens of our own understanding. Holy Spirit helps us see everything through the lens of God’s word.

Yep! Reading God’s word causes us to see people and circumstances from God’s perspective, and our old understanding is challenged. It’s kind-of like putting on a new pair of prescription glasses. Every new perspective revealed in God’s word, challenges our perspective.

I’m sorry to say, but just like those times when I’m tempted to wear my old glasses, I’m also tempted to refuse God’s perspective. I’ve even tried to justify my old perspective as being “okay” or “not a big deal.” But...

I’m learning the only way to look through the new lens of God’s perspective and not hurt myself or others is to agree God is right (which means I’m not). It’s not enough to know what God says is right. I (we) have to choose to let go of the way we’ve always done something and begin to choose another way. That’s right! Agreeing with God is like choosing to wear my new glasses and accept the struggle of adjustment.

But…

That’s also how and when the miracle of transformation begins. It’s me (and you) coming alongside Holy Spirit and letting Him help the mind of our spirit replace the mind of our flesh. This careful and intentional work of adjustment slowly becomes easier and our perspective is progressively changed until we no longer struggle.

Please don’t misunderstand me! I still fight the frustration of adjustment, but my ability to accept and cooperate with Holy Spirit’s help is improving. Which brings me to one of my favorite verses.

If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. Galatians 5:25 (CSB)

Putting this verse into practice is sort-of like running in a three-legged race. It requires every move we make to be intentional. Once we get the rhythm of keeping in step, we never want to be out of step again. Really!

Side-by-side is the safest way to walk when we’re continually getting new lenses in our spiritual glasses. Following Jesus is so much easier when we keep in step with His Spirit. We’re called to follow Jesus which means He’s up front leading the way. That’s why He gave us His Spirit.

Question is…

Are we willing to accept His help or will we resist?

LORD, we want to follow You well, but we don’t always want to see things from Your perspective. Thank You for giving us Holy Spirit as our Helper. Make us aware of His presence and willing to ask for His help. Teach us how to keep in step with Your Spirit and quickly recognize when we are not. Thank You for hearing us when we pray. Amen.

Links to a song and the story behind the song:

Crowder - I Am (Lyric Video) - Bing video

Story Behind The Song With David Crowder: "I Am" | Freeccm.com

Scripture quotations marked CSB are been taken from the Christian Standard Bible®, Copyright © 2017 by Holman Bible Publishers. Used by permission. Christian Standard Bible•, and CSB® are federally registered trademarks of Holman Bible Publishers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surgery Needed!

I’ve spent years wanting to write words that will bring life and encouragement into the lives of others.   I’ve not written for fear of writing the wrong words or being misunderstood.   I’ve lived a life of disobedience.   I’ve used other “good things” to procrastinate and justify myself.   I’ve allowed dead works to fill my days and ease my conscience, but… Last weekend, I read a verse that caused me to pray a prayer that has rocked my world.   It turned me upside down and has shaken me so hard that everything of no value has been exposed.   Just this morning I was given the reminder that I was delivered and called to a life of holiness for God’s purposes and not my own (2 Timothy 1:9).   So, I’m guessing you want to know what Saturday’s verse was.   Here goes… The verse was Acts 3:26.   So it is to you first that God has sent His servant who He has raised up, so that He might bless you by turning each one of you from your evil ways.   FYI: I am currently reading from the Compl

In The Garden...Tools

Spring beckons us outdoors and invites us to stroll around our gardens.  We see the new growth and we take stock of what needs to be done to keep all our plants as healthy as possible.   For the next few weeks, I want to compare the work of tending our garden to tending the garden of our hearts.   Gardening requires tools , and those tools must be taken care of properly.  They must be cleaned and many must be sharpened.  Items needed will vary by tool, but we all need rags, alcohol, and oil.  Some of you sharpen your own tools which adds sharpening devices and knowledge of angles to the list of things you need.  Other tools need things like electrical cords and batteries.   Not everyone would agree, but I consider gloves and sunglasses as must-have garden tools.  Gloves protect my hands and ensure a firm grip.  S unglasses keep me from squinting against the glare, and help me see what I'm doing.  I don't want to lop off the wrong branch or uproot plants instead of weed

In The Garden...The Flower Walk

Our family has a tradition we call the Flower Walk.  It's an early morning stroll around the garden looking at all that's changed since the previous day.  There's nothing like the quiet stillness, broken only by the singing of the birds.  The dew is heavy and the air is cool. Our Flower Walk is usually done alone, but I do the Flower Walk with Momma or Daddy whenever I'm back home.  We carry a cup of hot drink and amble around the yard and talk about what we see.  We don't whisper, but there is a hush to our words; we speak with a quietness to match the morning air.  We usually settle on the porch and talk about life as we've talked about the garden.  We talk about the things past and dreams for things yet to come.  There is an intimacy in the time we spend together.   There's the lingering of many past walks; the hope of future walks. Gardening, for me, is not about the work or even the flowers that come and go with the seasons.  It's about t